Category:Leeward Islands

From Stamps of the World

Revision as of 06:04, 27 November 2018 by Jverlaeken (Talk | contribs) (Text from Wikipedia)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Quick Navigation:
.


To see only pages that require images (have placeholders with no image) visit : Leeward Islands Image Requirements

Leeward Islands Flag.gif
Leeward Islands Emblem.gif
Leeward Islands Location.gif

The Leeward Islands was established as an English colony in 1671. In 1816, the islands were divided in two regions: Antigua, Barbuda, and Montserrat in one colony, and Saint Christopher, Nevis, Anguilla, and the Virgin Islands in the other. The Leeward Islands were united again in 1833, coming together until 1871 under the administration of the Governor of Antigua. The islands then became known as the Federal Colony of the Leeward Islands from 1871 to 1956, with Dominica becoming part of the colony in 1871 but leaving it again in 1940, and in 1958 the remaining islands were absorbed into the West Indies Federation.