From Stamps of the World
Abberley is a picturesque village in north west Worcestershire, England. It is situated on the northern slopes of Abberley Hill, between the River Severn and River Teme. Abberley lies halfway between Worcester and Tenbury, at the junction with the road from Worcester to Cleobury Mortimer. The parish was described in 1905 as being "about six miles in length, and nowhere more than one mile in breadth".At the latest census, it had the youngest population of any Worcestershire village.
Abberley is a village of three distinct parts. The oldest part, known as The Village, clusters round the 12th century and 13th century parish church of St. Michael. To the west, and divided from the village by farmland and the Cleobury road, is The Common, where the largest part of the population lives, new housing is being added, and there is a village shop cum post office. Between the village and the common, on the Cleobury road, are the Parochial VC primary school and the Village Hall. Overlooking the Village is the third part of Abberley, The Hill, with scattered farms, houses and cottages across the steep slopes of Abberley Hill. On the opposite side of Abberley Hill to the village, to the south of the Worcester-Tenbury road, lies Abberley Hall. Abberley Hill forms part of the Abberley and Malvern Hills Geopark. The Hill lies on the path of the Worcestershire Way, a well-used long-distance hiking trail. Abberley has two churches, a primary school, a modern village hall, and nearby a country hotel and restaurant, The Elms. Abberley Clock Tower
Abberley is home to Abberley Hall School, a preparatory school set in the grounds of Abberley Hall, which also contain the Abberley Clock Tower, the setting for the children's book by Gene Kemp, The Clock Tower Ghost.
|Pre-stamp to 1899||1900-1999||2000-Present|
|Post Office under Stourport 1853
Re-established - Money Order Office & Savings Bank 1 February 1882
Money Order Office & Savings Bank discontinued 2 May 1887
Under Worcester 1 March 1908
|Telegraph Office 22 January 1934. Code used AQY||Temporially closed 27 April 2002
Re-opened 25 July 2002