From Stamps of the World
Aberdyfi (English: Mouth of the River Dyfi), or Aberdovey (the Anglicised spelling) is a village and community on the north side of the estuary of the River Dyfi in Gwynedd, on the west coast of Wales.
The village was founded around the harbour and shipbuilding industry, but is now best known as a seaside resort with a high quality beach. The town centre is on the river and seafront, around the original harbour, jetty and beach but it stretches back from the coast and up the steep hillside in the midst of typical Welsh coastal scenery of steep green hills and sheep farms. Penhelig, with its own railway station, is the eastern part of the town.
Local tradition suggests that the Romans established a track into Aberdyfi as part of the military occupation of Wales around AD78
During the Spanish Armada of 1597, a Spanish ship, the Bear of Amsterdam missed her objective at Milford Haven and ended up having entered the Dyfi estuary. She was unable to leave for 10 days because of the wind and could not be boarded as no suitable boats were available. An attempt to burn her was frustrated by winds and when she did leave she ended up being captured by a waiting English fleet off the Cornish coast.
In the 1700s, the village grew with the appearance of several of the inns still in current use (The Dovey Hotel, Britannia and Penhelig Arms). Copper was mined in the present Copperhill Street, and lead in Penhelig.
Aberdovey was allocated the Post Office Numeral C32