From Stamps of the World
The London Borough of Barnet is a suburban London borough in North London, England,with some districts within North West London forming part of Outer London. It is the second largest London borough by population. It borders Hertfordshire to the north and five other London boroughs: Harrow and Brent to the west, Camden and Haringey to the south-east and Enfield to the east. The borough was formed in 1965 from parts of the counties of Middlesex and Hertfordshire.
Barnet was a local government district in south Hertfordshire from 1863 to 1965 around the town of Barnet.
Barnet was allocated the PO Numeral 937 in the 1844 lists. It was the first of the towns at the end of one of the London Post rides namely - Highate (1) - Finchley (2) - Whetstone (3) - Barnet (937)
New Barnet owes its conception to the building of the Great Northern Railway in 1850, when a station serving High Barnet was built, but located about a mile away from the town centre of High Barnet, so that this 'new' area quickly saw development. The main road (A110), Station Road and East Barnet Road, connects Barnet to East Barnet and is well served by buses.
From 1894 New Barnet formed part of the East Barnet Urban District of Hertfordshire until 1965 when it was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London to become part of the newly created London Borough of Barnet. The former town hall still stands in Station Road. Local government use ended in the early 1990s and the property was sold off for use as a restaurant. In 2006 the building was converted into flats. NEW BARNET was allocated the PO Numeral E33 in the poistal records, but later became a sub-office of Barnet itself.
The main commercial area in New Barnet is on East Barnet Road, near the railway station. A number of office blocks were built in Station Road in the 1960s & 70s.