From Stamps of the World
Brecon (Welsh: Aberhonddu), archaically known as Brecknock, is a market town and community in Powys, Mid Wales, with a population in 2001 of 7,901, increasing to 8,250 at the 2011 Census.
Historically it was the county town of Brecknockshire; although its role as such was eclipsed with the formation of the County of Powys, it remains an important local centre. Brecon is the third largest town in Powys, after Newtown and Ystradgynlais. It lies north of the Brecon Beacons mountain range, but is just within the Brecon Beacons National Park. The Welsh name, Aberhonddu, means "mouth of the Honddu". It is derived from the River Honddu, which meets the River Usk near the town centre, a short distance away from the River Tarell which enters the Usk a few hundred metres upstream. After the Dark Ages the original Welsh name of the kingdom in whose territory Brecon stands was (in modern orthography) "Brycheiniog", which was later anglicised to Brecknock or Brecon, and probably derives from Brychan, the eponymous founder of the kingdom. Before the building of the bridge over the Usk, Brecon was one of the few places where the river could be forded. In Roman Britain Y Gaer, Brecon (Cicucium) was established as a Roman cavalry base for the conquest of Roman Wales and Brecon was first established as a military base.
Post Office details
Post town by 1711 'Brecknock'
Money Order Office 1 October 1792
Named 'Brecon' by 1813
UDC from 4 July 1829
CDS from 22 August 1839
Numeral 116 allocated 1844
Savings Bank 16 October 1861
Telegraph office 1870. Code used - BNB
Changed from a head office to sub-office 6 January 1968
Changed from a branch office to a Modified Scale Payment Office 16 May 1994
MSPO located at the Co-op shop
Changed to a main office 31 October 2013
Machine roller. Time in centre. 5 wavy lines circa 1943 Machine roller. 7 wavy lines circa 1969
Money order office and Savings bank 1 June 1900 Closed 22 July 2008
Post office from 1935 Noted in the Post Office Circular - 13 November 1935