Burwash (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Loading map...

Burwash, archaically known as Burghersh, is a rural village and civil parish in the Rother District of Sussex, England. Situated 15 miles (24 km) inland from the port of Hastings, it is located five miles (8 km) south-west of Hurst Green, on the A265 road, and on the River Dudwell, a tributary of the River Rother. Smuggling took place in the 18th and 19th centuries, and several smugglers' graves can still be seen in the churchyard of St Bartholomew's. The main route connecting Heathfield and Hawkhurst was a toll-road, through Burwash, and was a notorious spot for highwaymen. Burwash was one of the villages involved in the Wealden iron industry, and there was a forge located at Burwash Weald, close to the site of the historic "Wheel" public house.[

Postmark Examples[edit]

BURWASH rare village despatch cancel on 1856 1d perf cover sent from BURWASH in East Sussex, via Hurst Green office then via London to Maidenhead