Camborne (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Camborne (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Camborne (Cornish: Kammbronn, meaning 'Crooked Hill') is a town and civil parish in west Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is at the western edge of a conurbation comprising Camborne, Pool and Redruth.Camborne is located in what was formerly one of the richest tin mining areas in the world and was once the home to the Camborne School of Mines (see below). The School of Mines moved from the centre of Camborne to Trevenson, Pool and is now a specialist department of the University of Exeter, based at Penryn Campus. In 1931 the ruins of a Roman villa were found at Magor Farm, Illogan, near Camborne, and excavated that year under the guidance of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. It is the only Roman villa found as of 2006 in the whole of Cornwall. An inscribed altar stone found at Camborne (now in the Church of St Martin and St Meriadoc), and dated to the tenth or eleventh centuries, attests to the existence of a settlement then. Langdon (1896) records seven stone crosses in the parish of which two are at Pendarves. Sub-Offices known Troon Camborne

Postmark Examples[edit]

Postcard to Cape Town from Camborne, with sub-office Troon/Camborne
1885 cover Camborne to Connecticut USA with 2½d Lilac.