From Stamps of the World
Dounreay (Gaelic: Dùnrath) (Ordnance Survey grid reference NC982669) is on the north coast of Caithness, in the Highland area of Scotland. Dounreay was originally the site of a castle (now a ruin) and its name derives from the Gaelic for 'fort on a mound. Since the 1950s it has been the site of two nuclear establishments, for the development of prototype fast breeder reactors and submarine reactor testing. Most of these facilities are now being decommissioned. Dounreay is near the A836 road, about 9 miles (14 km) west of the town of Thurso, which grew rapidly when the research establishment was developed during the mid 20th century. The establishment remained a major element in the economy of Thurso and Caithness until 1994 when the government ordered the reactors closed for good; a large workforce employed in the clean-up of the site (which is scheduled to continue until at least 2025) remains. A temporary Post Office operated at the building of the reactors for around four years.
Dunreay Camp Post Office, Caithness (1955-1959)