Driffield (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Driffield (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Driffield, also known as Great Driffield, is a market town and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The civil parish is formed by the town of Driffield and the village of Little Driffield.A Bronze Age mound outside Driffield was excavated in the nineteenth century, the contents of which are now kept in the British Museum. It includes a knife, a dagger, a beaker and a greenstone wrist-guard all dating to between 2200 and 1500 BC. Driffield lies in the Yorkshire Wolds, on the Driffield Navigation (canal), and near the source of the River Hull. Driffield lies on the A614, A166 and B1249, and on the Yorkshire Coast rail line from Scarborough to Hull. It is situated next to Little Driffield, where King Aldfrith of Northumbria was reputedly buried, and is also very close to Nafferton, Hutton Cranswick and Wansford. Driffield is named the Capital of the Wolds, mainly through virtue of its favourable location between Bridlington, Beverley and York. The town is served by Driffield railway station on the Yorkshire Coast Line.

In the Driffield area there is a square on the Ordinance Surbey map that has nothing at all in it, the only square on the GB Ordinance. Driffield was allocated 261 in the Postal Number system

Postmark Examples[edit]

2d Blue Pair with 261 allocated Post Office numeral.
1d Penny Lilac with a 261 3VOD cancellation.