From Stamps of the World
Guildford is a large town in Surrey, England, located 27 miles (43 km) southwest of central London on the A3 trunk road midway between the capital and Portsmouth. It is the seat of the borough of Guildford.
The root of the first part of the name may be the word "gold" rather than Guild, a society or meeting of tradesmen: the only known 10th-century (Saxon) record uses Guldeford and in the 11th century Geldeford; both meaning gold and ford. Local historians with an interest in toponyms cite the lack of gold in the region's sedimentary rocks and have suggested that the mention of "gold" may refer to golden flowers found by the ford itself, or the golden sand; several older sources such as Lewis's topological dictionary of 1848 prefer and give an unreferenced assertion there was a guild.
The town post office was allocated number 325 in the Post Office books.