High Wycombe (GB)
From Stamps of the World
High Wycombe often referred to as Wycombe, is a large town in Buckinghamshire, England. It is 29 miles (47 km) northwest of Charing Cross in London.
High Wycombe, West Wycombe (and Chipping Wycombe, now encompassed by High Wycombe itself) were all first mentioned in c970AD as Wicumun, then in 1086 the Doomsday Book mentions them with the spelling Wicumbe.
Wic is an Olde English word meaning 'Place at the dwelling of Settlements', in its plural form it is Wicum.
The river that runs through it is the Wye, but that is thought to have been named after the village, not the village being named after the river.