Hinckley (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Hinckley (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Hinckley is a market town in southwest Leicestershire, England. It is administered by Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council. Hinckley is the second largest town in the administrative county of Leicestershire, after Loughborough. Hinckley is situated near the larger town of Nuneaton in Warwickshire. Hinckley has a history going back to Anglo-Saxon times. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, Hinckley was quite a large village, and grew over the following 200 years into a small market town—a market was first recorded there in 1311. In 2000, archaeologists from Northampton Archaeology discovered evidence of Iron Age & Romano-British settlement on land near Coventry Road and Watling Street. In 2001 the area became known as Saxon Paddock and named as such by public meeting in 2009, the community and area lies just inside Leicestershire. Hinckley was allocated the number 365 in the Post Office records.

Postmark Examples[edit]

Post Office counter postmark of Hinckley Leics and cachet celebrating 100 years of the post office.
1867 Hinckley cancel with control code C on plate 73 1d penny red.