From Stamps of the World
Kamptee(Marathi: कामठी) is a city and a municipal council in Nagpur district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the administrative center for Kamptee taluka. It is below the confluence of the Kanhan River with the rivers Pench and Kolar. Kamptee was founded in 1821 when the British established a military cantonment on the banks of the Kanhan River. Kamptee was previously named Camp-T for its geographical shape. The town quickly became an important center for trade, but trade dwindled with the arrival of the railway in the late 19th century to Nagpur.