From Stamps of the World
Legnica (German: Liegnitz) is a town (102,708 inhabitants end 2012) in southwestern Poland, in the central part of Lower Silesian Voivodeship. Following the Congress of Vienna, Liegnitz was incorporated in 1816 into the Regierungsbezirk (administrative district) of Liegnitz, within the Prussian Province of Silesia. The town became part of the German Empire in 1871 during the unification of Germany. After the defeat of Nazi Germany during World War II, Liegnitz and all of Silesia east of the Neisse was transferred to Poland following the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The German population was expelled and replaced with Poles and, as the medieval Polish name Lignica was considered archaic, the town was renamed Legnica.
Postmarks in Poland
Postmarks in Empire of Germany
Seat of the District of Liegnitz.
Postmarks in North German Confederation
Postmarks in Prussia Silesia province
Kreis LIEGNITZ used a postal code 852. The railway office LIEGNITZ-FRANKENSTEIN opened in November 1858.