London EC (GB)
From Stamps of the World
The London EC office was in fact the London Chief Office created when the 10 Districts became into being. The EC (Eastern Central) postcode area, also known as the London EC postal area, is a group of postcode districts in central London, England. It includes almost all of the City of London and parts of the London Boroughs of Islington, Camden, Hackney and Tower Hamlets.
The early EC office was the hub of the London Postal system. In 1880 it delivered the Town Delivery within a 2-3 miles radius of the General Post Office. From the start of each day (Starting at 7:30am) it delivered 12 times the first post being all the post from overseas (Colonial and Oversea's), and from all other area's of Great Britain, that had arrived the previous day. The next delivery commencing at 8:30am was the Night Mails arriving from Ireland and from Scotland and the North. The third delivery commencing at 10:30 is for mail that is gathered in the district and from other London Districts with the previous hour of collecting/sorting and so it continued throughout the day.
- 1 Postmark Examples
- 2 Covers
- 3 Mount Pleasant Mail Centre
- 4 Branch Office Examples.
- 5 Other Examples notable Offices
- 6 Late Fee Hooded Circles of the London EC Offices
- 7 Letters from abroad receiving marks
In 1844 the Eastern Central ofiice remained part of the main post office building, but became sectioned off to seperate the business.
Mount Pleasant Mail Centre 
The Mount Pleasant Mail Centre (often shortened as Mount Pleasant, known internally as the Mount and officially known as the London Central Mail Centre); is a mail centre operated by Royal Mail in London, England. The site has previously operated as one of the largest sorting offices in the world. It is located in the London Borough of Islington, on the boundary with the London Borough of Camden.
It was officially opened on 30 August 1889 when the Post Office (Sites) Act (52 & 53 Vict. Ch. ccix) was passed by Parliament.
It was built on the location of the former Coldbath Fields Prison that ceased to function in 1885. The original prison gate was incorporated into the post office and not demolished until 1901. The remaining sections of the prison were demolished in 1929, when the new wing was built as an extension to the Letter Office.
From 1927 to 2003, Mount Pleasant was connected to other major Royal Mail offices and railways stations in London, via the London Post Office Railway. In the 1970s, it pioneered the use of optical character recognition for sorting purposes with the installation of a machine in 1979.
Branch Office Examples.
The Baltic 
The Baltic Exchange was a shipping exchange building on St Mary Axe in London. It now stands in the shadow of The Gherkin
Throgmorton Avenue 
It is named after Nicholas Throckmorton, chief banker of England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I and the head of an ancient Warwickshire family. The London Stock Exchange formerly occupied the southern side of Throgmorton Street. It was also once the home of Thomas Cromwell, King Henry VIII's chief minister. Throgmorton Avenue runs from Throgmorton Street to London Wall: it is a private road belonging to the Drapers' livery company and Carpenters' livery company with gates at each end. The gates to London Wall are controlled by the Carpenters' Company and are open between about 7 am and 7 pm on working weekdays. The livery halls of both companies can be accessed from the avenue, as can Drapers' Gardens; the Drapers occasionally use their hall's grander entrance on Throgmorton Street.
Fleet Street 
Fleet Street is a major street in the City of London. It runs west to east from Temple Bar at the boundary with the City of Westminster to Ludgate Circus at the site of the London Wall and the River Fleet from which the street was named.Fleet Street has a significant number of monuments and statues along its length, including the dragon at Temple Bar and memorials to a number of figures from the British press, such as Samuel Pepys and Lord Northcliffe. The street is mentioned in several works by Charles Dickens and is where the legendary fictitious murderous barber Sweeney Todd lived.
Fenchurch Street 
Fenchurch Street is a street in London linking Aldgate at its eastern end with Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street in the west. It is a well-known thoroughfare in the City of London financial district and is the site of a large number of corporate offices and headquarters
To the south of Fenchurch Street and towards its eastern end is Fenchurch Street railway station, a mainline terminus with services towards east London and Essex. Other notable sites include the commercial buildings at 20 Fenchurch Street and Plantation Place.
Seething Lane 
Seething Lane, once home to Samuel Pepys,is thought to derive its name, because it was once said to be a centre for making soap and glue; this involved the boiling of animal skins and the smelly, steaming cauldrons gave rise to the name of Seething.
Mark Lane is a street in the City of London linking Great Tower Street and Fenchurch Street. It was once the location of Mark Lane tube station, which was opened in 1884, renamed Tower Hill in 1964, and closed three years later. For some 240 years, Mark Lane was known for the Corn Exchange (which was the only market in London for corn, grain and seed); it occupied a series of properties on the east side of the southern end of the street. At its northern end, Mark Lane originates as a two-way side-road off Fenchurch Street, leading to Dunster Court, the home of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers since 1456. From the south, it is a one-way turn off Great Tower Street; the one-way stretch ends at London Street.In the nineteenth century 'Mark Lane' was a metonym for London's corn and grain markets. The first Corn Exchange opened on Mark Lane in 1747, bringing together the various agents who sold oats, beans and all kinds of grain on behalf of the farmers. (Corn, brought by river into the City, was customarily landed at Bear Quay, not far from the Exchange). The Corn Exchange, designed by George Dance the Elder in the classical style, was built around a courtyard which was open to the sky. The courtyard was surrounded by stalls or counters at which samples were available of the goods being traded. Either side of the Exchange were coffee-houses, where further business was transacted.
Billingsgate Branch Office
Billingsgate is one of the 25 Wards of the City of London. Its name derives from being the City's original water gate, and this small City Ward is situated on the north bank of the River Thames between London Bridge and Tower Bridge in the south-east of the Square Mile.
The modern Ward extends south to the Thames, west to Lovat Lane and Rood Lane, north to Fenchurch Street and Dunster Court, and east to Mark Lane and St Dunstan's Hill. Billingsgate's most ancient historical reference is as a water gate to the city of Trinovantum (the name given to London in medieval British legend), as mentioned in the Historia Regum Britanniae. Originally known as Blynesgate and Byllynsgate, its name apparently derives from its origins as a water gate on the Thames, where goods were landed, becoming Billingsgate Wharf, part of London's docks close to Lower Thames Street.
Billingsgate Fish Market was formally established by an Act of Parliament in 1699 to be "a free and open market for all sorts of fish whatsoever". Oranges, lemons, and Spanish onions were also landed there, alongside the other main commodities, coal and salt. In 1849, the fish market was moved off the streets into its own riverside building, which was subsequently demolished (c. 1873) and replaced by an arcaded-market hall (designed by City architect Horace Jones, built by John Mowlem) in 1875.