London Inland Office Branch (GB) Page 5
From Stamps of the World
|Pre-stamp to 1899||1900-1999||2000-Present|
|The office came into existence with the end of the Two Penny Post in 1844
The Main office itself was generally known as E.C.D.O.,St.Martin’s-le-Grand, the Inland Office being a department therein.
|By 1907 ‘London Chief Office’ had moved to King Edward St, EC1
Closed 22 April 1994
The London Inland Cancel issues of 1861 - 1864
The final issue of a selected group of cancels to the Inland Office (IO) were made, between 1861 and 1864 and before the Office changed its name to the Inland Branch Office (IB).
Again there appears to be no standardization of the bar formations.
1862 Single and double Steel Cancels 13 Bars (*14 or variant)
Seven single cancellers were re-issued for numbers 2-6, 8 and 10 in March 1862, possibly due to usage and wear. These were 13 bars with a bottom heavy (2,8,8,3) formation.
In April two further singles of number 1 and number 7 were issued. The #1 formation was 3,7,7,3 and #7 was 2,9,9,2.
Also numbers 45 and 46 were re-issued as shared pairs of 11/12 bars
1864 double Steel Cancels 2ND RE-ISSUE
The last issue of cancels to the Inland Office ended in 1864 with a re-issue of the above two doubles again. #45 and 46.
These showed a marked strengthening of the bars a feature that would typify the new Branch Office and District Office cancels after 1864.
OTHER Various Inland Office era cancels (1844 - 1864)
In 1862 the manufacturer of cancellation devices for the Post Office was the firm of D G Berri of 36 High Holborn, London W C
The sample sheets that they sent out to potential customers circa 1862 showed recess printed examples of their work