London Paddington W (GB) Page 2
From Stamps of the World
This page looks at both postmarks developed from 1901 to 1952 during the reign of the 4 Kings, KEdVII, KGV, KEdVIII and KGVI, but as always there is a crossover of postal marking and those that were developed during the reign of QV can be seen during this period so are also included in both pages sometimes.
Postal Markings developed during QV issue Era, on 4 Kings Postal items
Paddington also had its own Postal Railway line that ran much the same as an underground below London, distributing mail to other districts and sorting offices in the Capital. Work began after discussions in 1915. With parcels and letters being carried on it from 1917/18.The line ran from Paddington Head District Sorting Office in the west to the Eastern Head District Sorting Office at Whitechapel in the east, a distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km). It had eight stations, the largest of which was underneath Mount Pleasant (Mount Pleasant would later become the main sorting depot for London in the later half of the 1900's), but by 2003 only three stations remained in use because the sorting offices above the other stations had been relocated. The electrified railway system was mothballed in 2003 and has since become a museum under the auspices of the British Postal Museum & Archive.
Double Arc Circle
Single Ring Circle
Parcel Post Postmarks
Branch Office & Railway Office