Montrose (GB)

From Stamps of the World

GB 1d Red Plate 20 FK.jpg
Loading map...

Montrose (pronounced mon-TROHZ, Scottish Gaelic: Monadh Rois) is a coastal resort town and former royal burgh in Angus, Scotland. It is situated 38 miles (61 km) north of Dundee between the mouths of the North and South Esk rivers. It is the northernmost coastal town in Angus and developed at a natural harbour that traded in skins, hides and cured salmon in medieval times. With a population of approximately 12,000, the town functions as a port, but the major employer is GlaxoSmithKline, which was saved from closure in 2006. The skyline of Montrose is dominated by the 220-foot (67 m) steeple, designed by James Gillespie Graham and built between 1832 and 1834. Montrose is a town with a wealth of architecture, and is a centre for international trade. It is an important commercial port for the thriving oil and gas industry. It is known for its wide thoroughfare and high street which leads to picturesque closes containing secluded gardens. The town has a view of a two mile square tidal lagoon, Montrose Basin, which is considered a nature reserve of international importance. It is the largest inland salt water basin in the UK, and an important habitat for the mute swan.

Montrose Post Office, 1707- to date.

Postmark Examples[edit]

1904

Cover Examples[edit]

1730 entire letter to Edinburgh with a manuscript MONT2
1760 entire letter to Edinburgh with a manuscript 2 on front, and a MONTROSE undated double ring on reverse
1743 entire letter to Edinburgh with a manuscript Pd4d on the front and a straight line MONTROSE on the reverse
1778 entire letter to Edinburgh with a manuscript 2 on the front and a straight line MONTROSE on the reverse
1795 entire letter to Dundee with a manuscript 6 on the front and a straight line MONTROSE on the reverse
1802 entire letter to Kirkcaldy with a straight line MONTROSE on the reverse
1818 entire letter to Edinburgh with a MONTROSE boxed mileage mark (smaller type). Edinburgh receiving mark on arrival.
1821 entire letter to Edinburgh with a manuscript Pd 9 1/2, a MONTROSE boxed mileage mark (larger type), and a boxed "Paid in the Country" which was applied on arrival.
1828 entire letter to Elgin with a manuscript Pd 9 1/2, and a MONTROSE datestamp ( with arcs at top). Only one other town in Scotland had this type of datestamp and that was Alloa, both used between 1828 & 1837.
1855 Envelope sent to Paisley and delivered to MONTROSE in error. Received a boxed "Missent To Montrose" mark in green.
1833 entire letter to Kirkcaldy with manuscrips "To Pay More 9d" & "Pd 9". A MONTROSE datestamp (with single arc at bottom) and the very rare MONTROSE handstamp "Paid".
1808 entire letter to Aberdeen with manuscript 6 on the front and a circular MONTROSE mileage mark on the reverse.
1840 entire letter to the Royal Bank of Scotland, Stonehaven with a manuscript Pd 1, MONTROSE datestamp (with single arc at bottom) and a "Royal Bank of Scotland Office/MONTROSE/Paid" handstamp.
1838 entire letter to Glasgow with a MONTROSE additional halfpenny tax mark (1/2)
1840 entire letter to Cupar bearing a penny black adhesive cancelled with a MONTROSE red maltese cross. Also a MONTROSE datestamp along side.Penny Black IJ
1843 entire letter to Easdale bearing a penny brown adhesive cancelled with a MONTROSE black maltese cross.
1844 envelope to Laurencekirk with a MONTROSE 251 obliterator mark. (4-5-4 bars)
GB 1d Red Plate 20 FK.jpg