From Stamps of the World
Norwood was a suburb in the South Eastern District of the London District Posts, It arose in the late 1830's as London expanded. It has a rich history as shown by its compartmental suburbs that have grew out of Norwood.
See also; London (EC) Head Office
Sub Post Offices
Anerley is an area of south east London, within the London Borough of Bromley. It is located west of Bromley and south south-east of Charing Cross. The district is the former site of The Crystal Palace. Anerley has never existed as an independent entity, but rather as a general area. Prior to the enclosure and the relocation of the Crystal Palace to Penge Place at the top of Sydenham Hill, Anerley was an unoccupied part of Penge Common, and did not develop until the 19th century. From the 1860s the residential area developed, grand Victorian houses were built along Anerley Road, and Anerley formed part of the Parish of St Paul's, forming in 1861. It became a Town hall as a result of the London Government Act 1899, thus in 1900 becoming part of the Penge Urban District of Kent. The Hall was enlarged in 1911 for the sum of £3,229 and contained offices, a public hall, the council chamber, committee rooms, and a petty sessional court opened in 1925. By the beginning of the 20th Century, Anerley, like the now known area of Crystal Palace was in decline with much of the grand Victorian houses converted into flats, and by the middle of the century housing estates constructed. Anerley became part of the London Borough of Bromley in 1965. With the demise of the local government ward of Anerley, the name Anerley is mainly applied to the area in the proximity of the railway station, to the top of Anerley Hill Road and down to the Birkbeck station border divide with London and Kent. The SE20 postcode district was officially named Anerley but covered Anerley, Penge and parts of Beckenham.