Pontardawe (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Loading map...

Pontardawe "bridge on the Tawe" is a town of some 5,000 inhabitants in the Swansea Valley in south Wales. The community of Pontardawe, comprising the electoral wards of Pontardawe and Trebanos, is served by an elected Town Council and forms part of the county borough of Neath Port Talbot. Pontardawe first came into existence as a settlement at the crossroads of two drovers' tracks, one from Swansea to Brecon, and the other from Neath to Llandeilo. Its best known landmark today is the tall spire of St Peter's church which sits on a high point of the valley floor overlooking the Swansea Canal close to the centre of the town. Pontardawe was given the number 143 in the Post Office lists of 1887 (Prior to this 143 had been allocated to the small village of Temple Sowerby in Cumbria)

Postmark Examples[edit]

Code A Stampset.png
Code B Stampset.png
Code C Stampset.png
Code D Stampset.png
Stampset.png