Pulborough (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Pulborough (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Pulborough is a large village and civil parish in the Horsham district of West Sussex, England, with some 5,000 inhabitants. It is located almost centrally within West Sussex and is 50 miles (80 km) south west of London. It is at the junction of the north-south A29 and the east-west (A283) roads.

The village is near the confluence of the River Arun and the River Rother. It looks southwards over the broad flood plain of the tidal Arun to a backdrop of the South Downs. It is on the northern boundary of the newly established South Downs National Park.

Historically, it was a fording place over the River Arun used by the Romans, who had a mansio across the river at Hardham, one day's march from Chichester on the London road, Stane Street. The Saxons bridged the River Arun here and at nearby Stopham, north of its confluence with the River Rother. It became an important watering and overnight halt for cattle drovers providing easy access to water.

A mile to the west in woodland are the earthwork remains of a motte and bailey castle known as Park Mound, dating from the 11th century.

Transport connections afforded by the River Arun, its navigation, and later by the LBSCR Arun Valley Line brought Pulborough into the industrial age. Good road connections permitted, in the 20th century, the development of manufacturing industry, notably heavy engineering in London Road.

Postmark Examples[edit]

Postcard showing 616 PULBOROUGH Duplex 1904