From Stamps of the World
Tarleton is a village and civil parish situated in the Lancashire mosslands north east of Southport, and to the south west of Preston, in North West England. The village is known for farming due to its rich soil quality. The River Douglas runs northwards to the east of the village, which is locally thought to be where the Vikings camped on the river banks of what is now Tarleton. The parish also includes the village of Mere Brow and the hamlets of Sollom and Holme
Tarleton is derived from the Old Norse Tharaldr, a personal name and the Old English tun, a farmstead or enclosure. The township was recorded as Tharilton in 1246 and subsequently Tarleton. Tarleton is mentioned in the Feet of Fines in 1298.
A local family with the Tarleton name either was named or gave its name to the early settlement by the reign of Richard II. The manor of Tarleton was part of the Montbegon or Hornby fee and divided into two moieties: two ploughlands were granted to John Malherbe and the remainder to the Banastres of Bretherton. In 1298 John Banastre of Bank held eight oxgangs of land in Tarleton. The Banastres held land in Tarleton of the Montbegons in 1526. This moiety of the manor passed to the Lilfords. The other moiety was granted to Roger de Douay, and then to Gilbert de Notton who gave Cockersand Abbey one ploughland. This portion, Holmeswood, was eventually acquired by the Heskeths of Rufford and sold to the Lilfords around 1886, uniting both portions.
In the 19th century a labourer discovered a small leaden box without a lid containing about a hundred silver coins whilst digging in a copse. They were possibly from the 17th century.