Taynuilt (GB)

From Stamps of the World

Taynuilt (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Taynuilt; Scottish Gaelic: Taigh an Uillt, meaning 'the house by the stream' is a large village in Argyll and Bute, Scotland located at the western entrance to the narrow Pass of Brander.

In 1753 the Bonawe Iron Furnace was constructed by the Newland Company, later known as Harrison Ainslie. It stood just to the north of the village, between the rivers Nant and Awe, making use of timber from the local forests for charcoal fuel to smelt iron ore brought by sea from England. Although small in comparison to the huge 'hot-melt' furnaces of the 19th century, the furnace provided work not only at the site of the smelter but also for up to 600 charcoal burners over a large area of local woodlands. The effects of coppicing trees for charcoal burning can still be seen in local woods where, for a time, during the early part of the 20th century, birch brooms for use in steel mills were manufactured. The furnace was of such strategic importance that in 1756 a military road was constructed, crossing the Pass of Brander and the Bridge of Awe to reach the furnace. Twenty years afterwards the road was extended westward to Connel, and later still on to Oban. The factory produced 42,000 cannonballs in 1781. Closed in 1876, the furnace is still substantially complete and is a tourist attraction in the care of Historic Scotland.

What is claimed to have been the first monument to be erected in Britain to commemorate the death of Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar stands at Taynuilt with an inscription dated 1805 on its base, a reminder of the wide popularity of Nelson and of the many Scots crew and captains at the battle.

The Callander and Oban Railway opened Taynuilt railway station in 1880, making the village a popular place for tourists visiting the Scottish Highlands. The ferry service across Loch Etive to Bonawe eventually became a car ferry. Connel Bridge, which had been built to carry the railway over tidal rapids the mouth of the loch, with cars later sharing it as a toll bridge, was converted to being a road bridge when the railway was closed. The Taynuilt to Bonawe ferry closed in 1966.

Taynuilt was allocated the PO Numeral 528 for Scotland in the lists of 1887-1906

Postmark Examples[edit]

TAYNUILT double ring cancel used on 1d Lilac inv wmk