From Stamps of the World
Thrapston is a small town in Northamptonshire, England. It is the headquarters of the East Northamptonshire district.
Thrapston is situated close to the River Nene and is at the junction of the A14 and the A45. Until the 1960s, Thrapston had two railway stations. Thrapston (Midland) was on the Kettering to Cambridge route, and the former station and viaduct can be seen from the adjacent A14 road. Thrapston (Bridge Street) was on the former LNWR Northampton to Peterborough line.
A market charter was granted to the town in 1205, in exchange for two palfreys. This is celebrated every year with the town's Charter fair, when the high street is closed and the townspeople congregate in commemoration. A relative of George Washington, Sir John Washington, lived in Chancery Lane in the town, and his wife is buried in the Church of St James. Sir John was brother to George Washington's great-grandfather. Naturalist and writer Horace William Wheelwright practised as an attorney in Thrapston in the 1840s.