From Stamps of the World
Windsor is a town and unparished area in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead in Berkshire, England. It is widely known as the site of Windsor Castle, one of the official residences of the British Royal Family The early history of the castle site is unknown, although it was almost certainly settled many years before c.1070 when Conqueror set his timber motte and bailey castle against the manorial boundary. The focus of royal interest at this time was not the castle, however, but a small riverside settlement about 3 miles (5 km)downstream, possibly established from the seventh century. Windsor, or as it was called in the eleventh century, Windlesora is first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. The name originates from old English Windles-ore, or 'winch by the riverside'. The settlement had used an earlier name, but this is unknown. From about the eighth century high status people stated to visit the site occasionally, and possibly this included royalty. From the eleventh century the site's link with the king, Edward the Confessor, is documented, but again, information about his use of the place is scant. After the Conquest of 1066 royal use of the site increased, probably because it offered good access to woodlands and opportunities for hunting - a sport which also practised military skills. By the late twelfth century, and the relocation of the royal household to an enlarged castle in 1110, the site was renamed Old Windsor.