Bad Toelz (DE)
Bad Tölz (Hist: Tolnze (12th c.), Töelz, Tölz, Bad Tölz) is a town in Bavaria, Germany and the administrative center of the Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen district.
Hainricus de Tolnze built a castle on the site, which controlled the river and road traffic in the region but which no longer exists. In 1331, Louis IV made Tölz a market town.
In the middle of the 19th century, Tölz changed direction with the discovery of natural springs. The town began to focus on the healing properties of these springs and became a cure and spa town. In 1899, it became known as Bad Tölz.
In 1937, SS-Junkerschule Bad Tölz was established near the town. The SS-Junkerschulen SS-Junker School (SS Officer Candidate School) operated until the end of World War II in 1945. A subcamp of the Dachau concentration camp was located in the town. It provided labour for the school and the Zentralbauleitung (Central Administration Building). Bad Tölz would also be the last town to be "passed through" by the Holocaust death march from Dachau to the Austrian border, that would be halted by Nisei U.S. Army artillery soldiers on 2 May 1945, just two kilometers short of the next village to the east of it, Waakirchen. The former SS-Junkerschule was the base of the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group until 1991. It was in Bad Tölz that Amon Goeth, commandant of the Nazi concentration camp in Płaszów, in German-occupied Poland during World War II, was arrested and sent for trial in Poland.
Today, Bad Tölz is known for its spas, historic medieval town, and its views of the Alps. On the western bank of the Isar River lies the Kurverwaltung, or modern spa, whose iodine-rich waters are known for their soothing and healing powers. A major attraction was the Alpamare, Europe's first indoor water park with long water slides, wave pool, a surf wave, and a range of thermal outdoor pools with iodine water, until it closed in 2015. Another major attraction is Stadtpfarrkirche, a church built in 1466, which is an example of German late–Gothic architecture
German Reich Era