Bayreuth is a town (71,572 inhabitants end 2013) in Upper Franconia, Bavaria, on the Red Main river in a valley between the Franconian Jura and the Fichtelgebirge Mountains. The town is believed to have been founded by the Counts of Andechs probably around the mid-12th century, but was first mentioned in 1194 as Baierrute in a document by Bishop Otto II of Bamberg. The syllable -rute may mean Rodung or "clearing", whilst Baier probably refers to the Bajuvar immigrants. It used stamps issued by the Bavaria (Bayern) State until 1920.
Bayreuth is currently assigned post codes 95401–95448.
Federal Republic of Germnany
Special Event Postmarks
Allied Occupied Germany Postmarks
Town Promotion Postmarks
Bavaria State era
A post office Oberpostamt opened in 1810.
BAYREUTH used numerals 23 and 37 (after 1859) within a mill circle Mühlrad.