Blankenhain is a town (6,406 inhabitants end 2016) in the Weimarer Land district, in Thuringia, Germany. Blankenhain remained within Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach through the era of the German Empire (1871–1918). In 1920 it merged with 7 of the 8 other duchies to form the Free State of Thuringia. After being controlled briefly by the United States, from July 1945, the state of Thuringia came under the Soviet occupation zone, and was expanded to include parts of Prussian Saxony, including Erfurt, which became the new capital of Thuringia. In 1952, East Germany dissolved its states, and created districts (Bezirke) instead, with Blankenhain sitting within the rural district Kreis Weimar-Land, in Bezirk Erfurt.
Postmark in Unified Germany
Postmarks in German Empire
Postmark in North German Confederation
Since 1 January 1868.
Postmarks by Thurn und Taxis
BLANKENHAIN Kreis used a T&T code 225 in the Weimar district, Grand-Duchy of Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach.