Burghausen is the largest town (18,259 inhabitants end 2015) in the Altötting district of Upper Bavaria. It is situated on the Salzach river, near the border with Austria. Burghausen Castle rests along a ridgeline, and is the longest castle in the world (1,043 m).
It used stamps issued by the Bavaria (Bayern) State until 1920.
Allied Occupied Germany
German Empire era
Bavaria State era
Until 31 March 1920.
A royal post office (k.b.Postamt) opened in 1808. It used numerals 39 and 95 (after 1866) within a mill wheel (Mühlrad).