Christmas Island 1999 Christmas
- Date of Issue : 9 September 1999
- Designed by : Jo Muré
- Illustrated by: Nigel Buchanan
- Printed by : McPherson's Printing
- Printing Process : Offset lithography
- Perforations : 14 x 14½
- Dimensions: 37.5 mm x 26 mm
- Format: sheets of 50 (two panes of 25)
- Withdrawal date: 31 January 2000
Sydney-based illustrator Nigel Buchanan designed these stamps using the idea of Christmas Island as Santa’s home. The 40c stamp depicts Santa Claus snoozing in his hammock at the beach. His little helpers, Red Crabs (Gecarcoidea natalis), are tending to his needs – shining his boots and fanning him with a palm leaf.
The second stamp shows Santa sharing his festive fare with the Christmas Island fauna. The 45c stamp features two male Abbott’s Boobies, a pair of Christmas Frigatebirds (Fregata adrewsi), a Red Crab and an endemic skink (Cryptoblepharus egeriae) at Santa’s dinner table. On the 95c stamp Santa is captured taking off in his fully-laden sleigh, pulled by a pair of Abbott’s Boobies (Sula abbotti).
First Day Cover
The first day of issue postmark was Christmas Island Australia 6798.