Dereham (GB)

From Stamps of the World
Dereham (GB) a.jpg
Loading map...

Dereham also known as East Dereham, is a town and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated on the A47 road, about 15 miles west of the city of Norwich and 25 miles east of King's Lynn. The town should not be confused with the Norfolk village of West Dereham, which lies about 25 miles (40 km) away.

Dereham suffered damage during a Zeppelin air raid during the night of 8 September 1915. Damaged buildings included the headquarters of the 5th Territorial Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment at their premises on the corner of Church Street and Quebec Street. The old Vicarage was used as a Red Cross hospital.

At the outbreak of war, 5 Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, kept their HQ in Quebec Street but were based in the [Corn Hall]], and used the Masonic Hall on Norwich Road as a store, with the Assembly Rooms being used for medical inspections.

Dereham was declared a Nodal Point during the Second World War, and was partially fortified to slow down any German invasion of the country. One surviving pill box, in the railway station yard, is preserved as a memorial by the Royal British Legion.[16] Additional Air Ministry sidings were laid in the town 1943.

The railway arrived in Dereham in 1847, when a single track line to Wymondham opened. A second line was opened in 1848, to King's Lynn. A line from Dereham to Fakenham was opened in 1849, this line being extended to the coastal town of Wells-on-Sea by 1857. The town's railways became part of the Great Eastern Railway in 1862. Dereham had its own railway depot and a large complex of sidings, serving local industry. The line between Dereham and Wymondham was doubled in 1882, to allow for the increasing levels of traffic.

Dereham was issue the PO numeral 245 - A duplex handstamp is also recorded that says EAst Dereham

Postmark Examples

1854 Dereham dated ring in Green

Sub-Offices

FOULSHAM

Blue marker.png Foulsham is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village is 19.6 miles west-south-west of Cromer, 17.7 miles north-west of Norwich. The nearest railway station is at Sheringham for the Bittern Line which runs between Sheringham, Cromer and Norwich. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport.

The village's name derives from 'sham,' or home, and 'foul,' from the bird. Foulsham has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Foulsham is recorded by the name Folsam and Folsham it is said to be in the ownership of the King before and after 1066 and Walter Gifford from the king and in the custody of Godric The survey also notes two churches, a mill, twelve cattle, four hundred pigs, fifty Goats and 13 sesters of Honey. The spelling Folesham was also used.

FOULSHAM Thimble cancel.
FOULSHAM DEREHAM NORFOLK

ELMHAM

Yellow marker.png

Foulsham is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village is 19.6 miles west-south-west of Cromer, 17.7 miles north-west of Norwich. The nearest railway station is at Sheringham for the Bittern Line which runs between Sheringham, Cromer and Norwich. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport.

The village's name derives from 'sham,' or home, and 'foul,' from the bird. Foulsham has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Foulsham is recorded by the name Folsam and Folsham it is said to be in the ownership of the King before and after 1066 and Walter Gifford from the king and in the custody of Godric The survey also notes two churches, a mill, twelve cattle, four hundred pigs, fifty Goats and 13 sesters of Honey. The spelling Folesham was also used.

ELMHAM DEREHAM NORFOLK

MATTISHALL

Black marker.png

Mattishall is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated in the heart of Norfolk 13 miles from the centre of Norwich and four miles from Dereham, at the geographical centre of Norfolk.

The National School (subsequently Mattishall First School and Mattishall Middle School, and since 2005 merged to become simply Mattishall Primary School) was built in 1872. A notable headmistress was Miss Johnson (1884–1919), the daughter of the station master at Hardingham. Miss Mildred Edwards, a pupil-teacher, was still around when the school celebrated its centenary. It was she who planted the conker, which grew into the very large chestnut tree in the garden of Church Cottage near the corner of the school playing field.

The fortunes and well being of the villagers have fluctuated over the centuries. In 1835 the family of Sir William Edward Parry, the polar explorer, occupied South Green House (now Mattishall Hall) for a few months. On half pay from the navy, he was sent to Norfolk as an Assistant Commissioner for the New Poor Law. His sister-in-law wrote to her mother, "...a large population, immense families, and not work for half, and no resident gentleman near to do anything for them... such a disagreeable neighbourhood...".

MATTISHALL DEREHAM NFK

TOFTWOOD

Green marker.png

Toftwood is a small suburb South but within the 'town' of Dereham (where the population is included.), in the county of Norfolk in the United Kingdom. It was once a separate village but has now been incorporated into Dereham, as Dereham expanded.

TOFTWOOD DEREHAM Post Office Counter cancel