Dunfermline Cover Story (GB)
This is a detailed page describing the cover at Dunfermline (GB)
The cover is stamped with an imperf Penny Red from Plate 26 and is a constant variety.
Plate 26 stamps are known for having a constant flaw in the top squares, The left star has a 10 o'clock Ray flaw, where the ray is shorter than expected this flaw is found on the plates from plate 26 through to plate 36. The right star also has a constant flaw in that the 1 o'clock ray is shorter than expected and the square has an open (broken) top line.
The Dunfermline Maltese Cross has a solid centre, these are known from Dunfermline and have been attributed to a small pin that nailed the metal MX onto the wooden cancelling handstamp.
This stamp is lettered CA and this position is known for its major flaw in the bottom right A square, there is a heavy vertical guideline to the square. These guidelines were initially etched into the plates to give the plate maker a guide as to where to roll the stamp impression. Most of the time they were rolled over and compressed by the metal, occasionally they were slightly off line with the roller Die and the guideline remained. As well as this flaw the stamp is also known as having a 'blind' A and a mark below the 'E P' of the value.
|Page 1||Page 2|
|Cairneyhill May 9th 1843
Madam We have calculated the Scullery and Dairy proposed to be built at Dunimarle and find that they will cost about Thirty Three Pounds Fourteen Shilling and ten pence including laying the floors with pavement. The Building at the west end of the house without the pavement on top will be Thirty eight Ponds Six Shilling ten pence not including the Front Balcony nor *** for South room. I have just seen the Plumber and he states that Zinc will not do to be covered with earth a, at least it would not last long. The price of Zinc per (Square)² yard is Six Shillings. The price of Lead per (Square)² yard of suitable weight will be Eleven Shillings and Three pence per yard.
|There will be about Seventy three yards in Both roofs, supposing the rooms at the end of House to be made Twelve feet within. We will return the plans on Saturday night. Hoping to receive your orders to proceed with the work, we remain Madam your Obedient servants.
F & J Duncan Sons
History of Dunimarle Castle
Originally Called Castlehill, Dunimarle Castle is on the outskirts of Culross in Fife, Scotland. The name Dunimarle literally translates as Castle by the Sea.
The Castle was ruined in the 17th Century, but a new castle was built adjacent to the ruins in the 18th Century by the Erskine family. Castle Hills wealth started in earnest by Sir George Bruce who commenced coal mining at Culross C-6 Pit. It was the first Scottish mine to use mechanical drainage systems. Bruce and C-6 Pit In 1676 The Bruce family gave up mining the pit and the land chnaged hands. A new 'Castle' was built adjacent to the old castle by the William Erskine who died in 1697 and the castle passed down the family.
The castle featured as a backdrop in the movie The Little Vampire.  The current castle also has been left to ruin but has been held in the Mary Erskine Trust up until 2011. It was put on the market in 2012 at a price of £950,000 along with its 52 acre estate. Mr Salim Mohamed purchased the property for an undisclosed sum and has submitted planning permission for its restoration. 
The Castle was famously used by William Shakespeare as a setting for his Scottish Play Macbeth (written between 1599-1606)  as the scene at which Lady Macduff is killed.
Return to Dunfermline Postmarks Dunfermline (GB)