Fingal (AU)

From Stamps of the World

Fingal (/fɪŋˈɔːl/) is a small Australian town (366 inhabitants in 2011) in Fingal Valley in the north-east of Tasmania, on the Esk Highway. The Fingal area was surveyed in 1824 by Roderic O'Connor and John Helder Wedge. The town of Fingal came into existence in 1827 as a convict station, and experienced a boom when Van Diemen's Land's first payable gold was discovered in nearby Mangana. Fingal Post Office opened on 1 June 1832.

Loading map...

Postmark in Australia

Circle FINGAL in December 1902.

Postmark in British Tasmania

Before 1902.