Germany-DDR 1989 Johann Gottfried Schadow
- Label : "Deutsche Post" of the German Democratic Republic; 1989; commemorative stamps of the issue "225th anniversary of birth of Johann Gottfried Schadow";
meant is the sculptor of the Prussian Classicism Johann Gottfried Schadow (1764-1850).;
issue of 2 stamps
- Catalogue numbers : Michel: No. 3250-3251; Yvert & Tellier: No. 2859-2860; Scott: No. 2750-2751; AFA: No. 2910-2911
- Colors : multicolored
- Watermark : none
- Nominal values : 50 - 85 (Pfennig)
- Postage validity : 16 May 1989 - 02 October 1990
- Designed by : Joachim Rieß (* 1937)
- Printed by : "Deutsche Wertpapierdruckerei", Leipzig
- Print process : Photogravure on luminescent paper
- Perforation : Comb perforation, K 14
- Print runs :
- - 50 (Pfennig) : 3,000,000 in sheets à 50 stamps (10x5)
- - 85 (Pfennig) : 2,100,000 in sheets à 50 stamps (10x5)
- Stamp size (printed area of a single stamp without year line): 21.0 x 38.5 mm
Stamps of the issue "225th anniversary of birth of Johann Gottfried Schadow"
(issue of 4 stamps)
- 50 (Pfennig) : Detail of the head of the Princess Luise of Prussia from the "Prinzessinnengruppe"
- 85 (Pfennig) : Detail of the head of the Princess Friderike of Prussia from the Prinzessinnengruppe"
The original marble sculptur "Prinzessinnengruppe" (created ca. 1796 or earlier) by Johann Gottfried Schadow is a masterwork of the Prussian Classicism and is located contemporary in the "Alte Nationalgalerie" in Berlin. The postmark shows a side view of a portrait bust of Johann Gottfried Schadow as central motiv beside inscriptions.