Gombe or La Gombe is a municipality (32,373 inhabitants in 2004) in the Lukunga district of Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It was formerly known as Kalina, after Lieutenant E. Kallina (1852-1883) - an Austro-Hungarian soldier who volunteered in the Congo Free State. Gombe is bounded on the north by the Congo River and in the south by the Boulevard du 30 Juin. In 1929, Leopoldville - then capital of the Belgian Congo comprizes Kintambo, Kalina (Gombe), Kinshasa, Barumbu and Saint Jean. Gombe is both a residential area and Kinshasa's business district.
Belgian Congo period 1909-1960