Guernsey 1969 Pre-Decimal Definitive Issue 1st Series
From Stamps of the World
- Issued: 1st October 1969
- Designer: Richard Granger Barrett
- Printed by Photogravure by Harrison to 2s 6d, others by Imprimerie Delrieu of Paris.
- Perforations 14.0, (1/2d to 2s 6d), 12.5 (5s, 10s & £1) The 10s & £1 also come with 13.5 x 13.0 perforations Issued 4th May 1970.
- Paper: Chalk Surfaced and Unwatermarked* (½d to 2/6d). High Values 5/- to £1 on Glossy Paper. *3d Value issued in error with CA 'Crown Agents' Watermark.
- Sheet Formats: Low Values sheets of 60. Two panes of 30 (6 x 5). High Values - Mainly Sheets of 30.(5 by 6) but Gutter Pairs are known from a few Sheets of 60. (2 panes 30 each 6 by 5).
- Stamp Sizes: 44.5mm wide x 28.5mm deep (1/2d to 2s 6d), & 48.5mm wide x 32.5mm deep (5s to £1)
- ½d and 1½d withdrawn on 6th October 1969. Wrong Latitude 1d and 1/6d withdrawn on 4th Feb 1970 when the correct latitude versions of the 1d and 1/6d were issued on the same day. The remaining values were all withdrawn and Invalidated along with all pre-decimal Commemoratives on the 14th February 1972. (Except £1 High Value which was Withdrawn on 31st March 1976 - and is still valid for postage).
- Although the ½d and 1½d were withdrawn earlier, (see above) they were available from the Philatelic Bureau until Invalidated on the 14th February 1972.
- Note: 1d, 4d & 5d were also available from 6 Different Booklets with Margins all around.
- Stamp designs were used for the Decimal series. For details Click on: Guernsey 1971 Decimal Currency Definitives
Low Values - ½d to 2/6d
- Note the ½d, 1d, 2d, 3d, 6d, 9d, 1/-, 1/6d, 1/9d & 2/6d were Reprinted on Thinner Whiter Paper.
High Values - 5/- to £1
Dated Corner Blocks
- 5/- exists Perf 12½ only.
- 10/- & £1 each exist Perf 12½ (1.10.69) & Perf 13½ x13 (March 1970)
High Value Gutter Pairs
- 10/- & £1 each exist Perf 12½ or Perf 13½ x 13
First Day Covers
Booklets Issued 12th December 1969
Booklets Issued 29th June 1970
- Issued on 12th December 1969