Helmstedt (DE)

From Stamps of the World
Helmstedt (DE) a.jpg
Loading map...

Helmstedt (pronunciation: [ˈhɛlmˌʃtɛt]) is a town (25,728 inhabitants end 2018) on the eastern edge of the German state of Lower Saxony, east of Braunschweig. It is the capital of the District of Helmstedt. The historic university and Hanseatic city conserves an important monumental heritage of Romanesque and Renaissance buildings, as well as numerous timber framed houses. The nearby Bundesautobahn was the site of the Helmstedt–Marienborn border crossing, the most important on the former inner German border as starting point of the shortest land route between West Germany and West Berlin.

Helmstedt is situated in a basin between the Elm and Lappwald hill ranges, at the transition area between the northern foothills of the Harz mountains and the North German Plain. It is surrounded by the Elm-Lappwald Nature Park.

The municipal area includes the localities of Barmke and Emmerstedt, both incorporated by a 1974 administrative reform, as well as the resort town of Bad Helmstedt, east of the town centre.

Historically in the Duchy of Brunswick.

Postmark in Germany

Code 38350

Allied Occupation Postmarks

Helmstedt belonged to RPD Braunschweig, PLZ 20b, in the British Zone of occupation (PLZ 20 before October 1946).

Helmstedt (DE) a.jpg
Helmstedt (DE) ao.jpg

Postmark in German Empire

Postmark in North German Confederation

Since 1 January 1868.

Postmark from the Duchy of Brunswick

A linear postmark is used since 1808. The HELMSTEDT Postanstalt used the code 21.

Blue lined 21 on a 1864 issue.
DC with expedition on a 1864 issue.