Salzburg (AT)

From Stamps of the World
Loading map...
City views on 2005 Minisheet


Salzburg is the fourth-largest city in Austria and the capital of the federal state of Salzburg. The town is located on the site of the former Roman settlement of Iuvavum. Salzburg was founded as an episcopal see in 696 and became a seat of the archbishop in 798. Its main sources of income were salt extraction and trade and, at times, gold mining. The fortress of Hohensalzburg, one of the largest medieval fortresses in Europe, dates from the 11th century. In the 17th century, Salzburg became a centre of the Counter-Reformation, where monasteries and numerous Baroque churches were built.

Salzburg's historic centre (German: Altstadt) is thus renowned for its Baroque architecture and is one of the best-preserved city centres north of the Alps, with 27 churches. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996. The city has three universities and a large population of students. Tourists also visit Salzburg to tour the historic centre and the scenic Alpine surroundings. Salzburg was the birthplace of the 18th-century composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Because of its history, culture, and attractions, Salzburg has been labeled Austria's "most inspiring city."

After the Congress of Vienna with the Treaty of Munich (1816), Salzburg was definitively returned to Austria, but without Rupertigau and Berchtesgaden, which remained with Bavaria. Salzburg was integrated into the Province of Salzach and Salzburgerland was ruled from Linz.

In 1850, Salzburg's status was restored as the capital of the Duchy of Salzburg, a crownland of the Austrian Empire. The city became part of Austria-Hungary in 1866 as the capital of a crownland of the Austrian Empire. The nostalgia of the Romantic Era led to increased tourism. In 1892, a funicular was installed to facilitate tourism to Hohensalzburg Fortress.

Following World War I and the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Salzburg, as the capital of one of the Austro-Hungarian territories, became part of the new German Austria. In 1918, it represented the residual German-speaking territories of the Austrian heartlands. This was replaced by the First Austrian Republic in 1919, after the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye (1919).

The Anschluss (the occupation and annexation of Austria, including Salzburg, into the Third Reich) took place on 12 March 1938, one day before a scheduled referendum on Austria's independence. German troops moved into the city. Political opponents, Jewish citizens and other minorities were subsequently arrested and deported to concentration camps. The synagogue was destroyed. After Germany invaded the Soviet Union, several POW camps for prisoners from the Soviet Union and other enemy nations were organized in the city.

During the Nazi occupation, a Romani camp was built in Salzburg-Maxglan. It was an Arbeitserziehungslager (work 'education' camp), which provided slave labour to local industry. It also operated as a Zwischenlager (transit camp), holding Roma before their deportation to German extermination camps or ghettos in German-occupied territories in eastern Europe. World War II

Allied bombing destroyed 7,600 houses and killed 550 inhabitants. Fifteen air strikes destroyed 46 percent of the city's buildings, especially those around Salzburg railway station. Although the town's bridges and the dome of the cathedral were destroyed, much of its Baroque architecture remained intact. As a result, Salzburg is one of the few remaining examples of a town of its style. American troops entered the city on 5 May 1945 and it became the centre of the American-occupied area in Austria. Several displaced persons camps were established in Salzburg—among them Riedenburg, Camp Herzl (Franz-Josefs-Kaserne), Camp Mülln, Bet Bialik, Bet Trumpeldor, and New Palestine.

After World War II, Salzburg became the capital city of the Federal State of Salzburg (Land Salzburg). On 27 January 2006, the 250th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, all 35 churches of Salzburg rang their bells after 8:00 p.m. (local time) to celebrate the occasion. Major celebrations took place throughout the year.


Salzburg

City code 5020

5020 in 1967, machime cancellation with slogan Ihr Reisziel
Slogan cancel SALZBERG in 1973
5020 in 1976
Michel No. 1564, postmarked at "5020 Salzburg", 05-10-1978
5020 in 1982
5020 in 1982

Before 5020

SALZBURG 1 in 1953.
SALZBURG 2 in 1922.
SALZBURG 4 in 1951.

Meter cancels

Meter cancel 1930
Meter cancel 1957
Meter cancel 1982
Meter cancel 1986
Meter cancel 1987
Meter cancel 1993
Meter cancel 1993
Meter cancel 1996
Meter cancel 1998
Meter cancel 1999
Meter cancel 2001

Cards and Covers

FDC in 2015

Postmarks in Austria-Hungary era

The name SALZBURG, STADT changed to SALZBURG 1 on 17 February 1896.

Grotesk with expedition 10 F(rüh).
Grotesk in 1878 with expedition ABENDS.
SALZBURG-STADT in 1891.
Bridge SALZBURG 1 on 31 December 1917 on Postage due stamp.

Newspaper expedition

Hermes type III type, circle in 1889 (?)

Sub-offices

Other offices were Bahnhof (SALZBURG 2), Mülln (SALZBURG 3) , Makartplatz (Postexpedition - SALZBURG 4), Nonnthal (SALZBURG 5), Riedenburg (SALZBURG 6) and SALZBURG 7 (opened on 21 May 1897).

SALZBURG 2 in 1896. Type gEje.
SALZBURG 2 bridge in 1919.
SALZBURG 4 bridge in 1909.

Postmarks in Austrian Empire Salzburg province

The Stadt post-office opened before 1850; the railway station Bahnhof in 1861.

Oval in 1862, Mueller type RzO-fh.

Sub-Offices

Salzburg-Morzg 5034

Salzburg-Morzg is a suburb of Salzburg lying to the South of the city its office number is 5034.

Salzburg (AT) S MORZ a.jpg