From Stamps of the World
Stanmore is a suburban residential district of northwest London in the London Borough of Harrow. It is centred 11 miles (18 km) northwest of Charing Cross. The area, based on the ancient parish of Great Stanmore includes southern slopes of the unnamed ridge of hills rising to Stanmore Hill, one of the highest points of London, 152 metres (499 ft) high.The area was recorded in the Domesday Book as Stanmere, the name deriving from the Old English stan, 'stony' and mere, 'a pool'. There are outcrops of gravel on the clay soil here and the mere may have been one of the ponds which still exist. By 1574 the area had become known as Great Stanmore to distinguish it from Little Stanmore. Stanmore Village railway station was open for train services between 1890 and 1952. Stanmore tube station opened in 1932. Stanmore had an outstation from the Bletchley Park codebreaking establishment, where some of the Bombes used to decode German Enigma messages in World War Two were housed.
1d Penny pink stationary envelope with Stanmore Maltese Cross on the cover, sent to Leeds in 1844 with Plate 34 1d Red cancelled at Leeds with a Leeds normal Maltese Cross (not special type) used to redirect from Leeds to Liverpool. There is also a CDS (Circular Date Stamp) of 9 Feb 1844 Leeds