Ballarat (Hist: Ballaarat) is a city ((101,686 inhabitants in 2016) located on the Yarrowee River in the Grampians region of Victoria, Australia, around Lake Wendouree. Locals are known as 'Ballaratians'. It is primarily urban with the vast majority of its population living in the Greater Ballarat urban area, while other significant settlements include Buninyong, Waubra, Learmonth and Addington. It was formed in 1994. Ballarat is arguably the most significant Victorian era gold rush boomtown in Australia. Just months after Victoria was granted separation from the state of New South Wales, the Victorian gold rush transformed Ballarat from a small sheep station to a major settlement. From the late 1860s to the early 20th century, Ballarat made a successful transition from a gold rush town to an industrial-age city. The ramshackle tents and timber buildings gradually made way for permanent buildings, many impressive structures of solid stone and brick mainly built from wealth generated by early mining.
On 13 May 1901, the Duke of York (later George V) and his wife, Mary the Duchess of York, travelled by train from Melbourne to Ballarat.
The first electricity supply was completed in 1901 by the Electric Supply Company of Victoria. A bluestone power station was built at the corner of Ripon Street and Wendouree Parade in 1901 with the main aim of providing the power required for electrification of the city's tramway network.
Ballarat was issued with the number 5 Victoria Barred Numeral cancel.
Ballarat East used #139.
Postmark in Australia
Postmarks in British Victoria