Cowes is the main township (4,053 inhabitants in 2011) on Phillip Island in the Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia. Cowes is located on the northern side of Phillip Island and faces towards French Island and the Mornington Peninsula.
The area was originally known as Mussel Rocks. In 1865, a government surveyor Henry Cox returned from a holiday retreat in England and named the town after the seaport town of Cowes on the Isle of Wight, England.
Postmark in Australia
Postmarks in British Victoria
Before 1913. The Post Office opened on 1 August 1869.