Germany-Unified 1996 Images from German cities - Gendarmenmarkt Berlin

From Stamps of the World
  • Label : „Deutsche Post“ of Germany; 1996, commemorative souvenir envelope to „90th anniversary of the „Köpenickiade“;


Note:
The „Köpenickiade“ was the action of the East-Prussian shoemaker Friedrich Wilhelm Voigt and his spectacular occupation of the city hall of Cöpenick (then independing municipalty, contemporary a quarter of Berlin) on the 16th of October, 1906 as he, dressed up as a Captain of the then German Army with a troop of credulous soldiers from the street, occupated the city hall of Cöpenich, arrested his major and robbed the city treasury of Cöpenick. One is called „Seine Majestät (= Emperor Wilhelm II) haben köstlich gelacht.“

Note 2::
The bronze statue before the entrance to the town hall in Berlin-Koepenick was created in 1996 by Spartak Babajan and casted in 1996 at the "Bildgießerei Seiler GmbH" in Schöneiche near Berlin.

Stamp datas:

  • Catalogue numbers : Michel: No. 1877; Yvert & Tellier: No. 1709; Scott: No. 1938; AFA: No. 2818
  • Color : multicolored
  • Watermark : none
  • Nominal value : 100 (Pfennig)
  • Postage validity : 14 August 1996 – 30 June 2002
  • Designed by : Heinz Schillinger (1929-2008)
  • Printed by : „Bundesdruckerei“, Berlin (probably)
  • Print process : Offset printing (on yellowish-illuminting paper)
  • Perforation : Comb perforation, K 13¾ : 14
  • Print run : 25,590,000 stamps
  • Stamp size (printed area of a single stamp without year line): 51.0 x 28.5
  • postmark : oval one-line special cancellation (laying oval with 44.0 mm widh and 33.0 mm high) at „12555 Berlin-Köpenick 1“, 16-10-1996

Stamp

Mint

Michel No. 1877, mint

Postmarked

Michel No. 1877, postmarked

Covers, cards, and philatelic souvenirs

Souvenir Envelope of Germany to "90 years of the Köpenickiade"; postmarked in "12555 Berlin.Köpenick 1", 16-10-1996


To the stamp motive:
- 100 (Pfennig) : „Gendarmenmarkt“ in Berlin-Mitte (with the „Deutscher Dom“ (left), the „Schauspielhaus“ (middle) and the „Französischer Dom“ (rigt) and a central depicted modern replica of a historical city-lantern)