The United Nations (UN; French: Organisation des Nations Unies, ONU) is an international organization whose stated aims include promoting and facilitating cooperation in international law, international security, economic development, social progress, human rights, civil rights, civil liberties, political freedoms, democracy, and the achievement of lasting world peace. The UN was founded in 1945 after World War II to replace the League of Nations, to stop wars between countries, and to provide a platform for dialogue. It contains multiple subsidiary organizations to carry out its missions.
At its founding, the UN had 51 member states; there are now 193. From its offices around the world, the UN and its specialized agencies decide on substantive and administrative issues in regular meetings held throughout the year. The organization has six principal organs: the General Assembly (the main deliberative assembly); the Security Council (for deciding certain resolutions for peace and security); the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) (for assisting in promoting international economic and social cooperation and development); the Secretariat (for providing studies, information, and facilities needed by the UN); the International Court of Justice (the primary judicial organ); and the United Nations Trusteeship Council (which is currently inactive). Other prominent UN System agencies include the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Food Programme (WFP) and United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). The UN's most prominent position is that of the office of Secretary-General which has been held by Ban Ki-moon of South Korea since 2007. NGOs may be granted consultative status with ECOSOC and other agencies to participate in the UN's work.
The United Nations Headquarters resides in international territory in New York City, with further main offices at Geneva, Nairobi, and Vienna. The organization is financed from assessed and voluntary contributions from its member states, and has six official languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "United Nations(Theme)"
The following 98 pages are in this category, out of 98 total.
- Afghanistan 1956 United Nations Day
- Afghanistan 1970 United Nations Day
- Aitutaki 1995 United Nations
- Albania 1959 UN Declaration of Human Rights 10th anniversary
- Andorra - French 1995 United Nations - 50th Anniversary
- Andorra - Spanish 2003 Andorra Joining United Nations - 10th Anniversary
- Angola 1996 UN Conference on Women, Beijing
- Argentine 1970 25th Anniversary of the United Nations
- Australia 1998 Human Rights
- Austria 1946 Overprint - United Nations Day
- Cameroon 1990 UN Development Programme - 40th Anniversary
- Canada 1995 United Nations
- Ceylon 1972 Economic Commission for Asia and the Far East
- China (Peoples Republic) 1995 U.N. World Summit for Social Development
- Colombia 1964 Human Rights
- Cook Islands 1995 United Nations, 50th Anniversary
- Cook Islands 1995 United Nations, 50th Anniversary FAO
- Czechoslovakia 1970 The 25th Anniversary of United Nations
- Ukraine 1995 UNO - 50th Anniversary
- United Nations 1951 Clasped Hands 5c
- United Nations 1951 Headquarter New York with Emblem 1.5c
- United Nations 1951 Headquarters New York with Emblem 50c
- United Nations 1951 Peoples of the World
- United Nations 1951 Peoples of the World 10c
- United Nations 1951 UN Emblem 1$
- United Nations 1951 UN Emblem 2c
- United Nations 1951 UN Flag 15c
- United Nations 1951 UN Flag 25c
- United Nations 1951 UN Flag 3c
- United Nations 1951 World Unity 20c
- United Nations 1952 The 7th Anniversary of Signing of U.N. Charter
- United Nations 1956 United Nations Day
- United Nations 1974 Dove with Olive branch and UN Emblem
- United Nations 1976 Dove and Rainbow
- United Nations 2006 War and Peace
- United Nations 2019 Kofi Annan
- Uzbekistan 2007 15 Years of the Republic of Uzbekistan in United Nations