Redhill & Reigate (GB)
The towns of Redhill & Reigate was historically seperated from each other, but has in recent postal history been twinned together as one.
Redhill & Reigate are towns in eastern Surrey, England Sited at the foot of the North Downs and extends over part of the Greensand Ridge. Reigate has a medieval castle and has been a market town since the medieval period, when it also became a parliamentary borough. Redhill town formed here in part of the rural parishes of Reigate Foreign and Merstham when a turnpike road was built in 1818. The settlement was originally known as "Warwick Town" after Warwick Road, and became known as Redhill when the post office moved from Red Hill Common in the south-west of the town in 1856
The towns both developed large trades Reigate in oatmeal during the 16th century but this had ceased by about 1720; and Redhill in Fullers Earth a high Humus rich top-soil. There was a noted tannery at Linkfield Street in Reigate which was expanded in the 19th century. It burnt down about 1930.
The coming of the London and Brighton Railway in 1841 led to new buildings being built across the parish, resulting in a second town in the eastern fields around the railway station in an area that was previously uninhabited: this town at first had two names but since the early 20th century has been called combined as the towns have grew together.
Redhill Quarry 2 miles to the north near the outlying village of Merstham, was the testing area for Alfred Nobels dynamite.
Reigate has two windmills: a post mill on Reigate Heath and a tower mill on Wray Common. In the medieval period the parish had other windmills, about a dozen animal-powered mills for oatmeal and watermills on the southern parish boundary with the Mole and Redhill Brook