Pierre Gandon was a French illustrator and engraver of postage stamps.
He was born January 20, 1899 in L'Haÿ-les-Roses (Val-de-Marne) and died July 23, 1990.
His father Gaston Gandon was himself an engraver at the Institut de gravure of Paris and designed stamps for some countries and two for France (Le Burelé 50 Francs in 1936 and the cathedral of Strasbourg in 1939).
Pierre Gandon studied in Paris at the École Estienne, then at the École des Beaux-Arts. He won his first of many prizes in 1921 : the Prix de Rome.
Gandon answered an advertisement in a paper and finally obtained the right to design "Femme indigène", his first postage stamp series issued 1941 in the French colony of Dahomey.
The same year was issued his first stamp for France : the coat of arms of Reims.
Four times he received the Grand Prix de l'Art philatélique during his career that includes three French definitive stamps series :
Marianne de Gandon series issued at the end of the Second World War, Sabine de Gandon series inspired by Jacques-Louis David's The Intervention of the Sabine Women, issued during the 1970s, and Liberté de Gandon series inspired by Eugène Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People. He was 82 years old when he engraved this stamp. His last stamp was issued for the Journée du timbre 1983. In total, Pierre Gandon designed and/or engraved over 350 stamps for France and over double that number for the French Colonies.
Please note these links are to an external site. Wiki Pages can be found under the section Pages in category
Pages in category "Gandon, Pierre"
The following 53 pages are in this category, out of 53 total.
- France 1941 National Seamen's Relief Fund, Fisherman.
- France 1945 - 1946 Definitives - Marianne
- France 1945 Liberation
- France 1946 - 1948 Tourism - Views
- France 1946 Peace Conference
- France 1947 12th Congress of the UPU
- France 1959 Paris Flower Festival
- France 1959 Stamp Day
- France 1966 Millenary of Mont. St. Michel
- France 1966 Semi-Postal Famous Frenchmen Red Cross Fund surcharged
- France 1971 Semi-Postal Red Cross
- France 1973 French Art
- France 1975 President Georges Pompidou
- France 1975 Red Cross Fund - Celebrities
- France 1976 French Philatelic Societies
- France 1979 Precancels - Mushrooms
- French Equatorial Africa 1942 Airmail - Child Charity
- French Equatorial Africa 1947 Definitives - Allegory
- French Equatorial Africa 1947 Definitives - Local People
- French Equatorial Africa 1947 Definitives - Local Views
- French Morocco 1945 Airmail - Aeroplane over Minarets
- French Morocco 1947 Development of the Phosphate Fields - 25th Anniversary
- French Morocco 1947-1950 - Definitives - Cityviews
- French Morocco 1947-1951 Airmail - Aeroplane over Landscapes
- French Morocco 1948 Airmail - Marchal Lyautey - Exposition Paris
- French Morocco 1948 Naval Charities
- French Morocco 1948 Solidarity Fundation - Inscribed "SOLIDARITE 1947"
- French Morocco 1955 Rotary International - 50th Anniversary
- French Southern and Antarctic Territories (TAAF) 1955 Madagascar Stamp optd
- French Southern and Antarctic Territories (TAAF) 1961 Jean Charcot Disappearance Anniversary
- French Territory of the Afars and the Issas 1967 Wildlife
- French West Africa 1947 Airmail - Aviation in West Africa
- French West Africa 1947 Definitives - Local Motives
- French West Africa 1958 Airmail - Centenary of Dakar
- Monaco 1953 Concourt Brothers
- Monaco 1958 Centenary of Apparition of Virgin Mary at Lourdes
- Monaco 1961 Old Cars
- Monaco 1962 Bird Protection
- Monaco 1963 English Football Association, Centenary
- Monaco 1964 Airplanes
- Monaco 1966 Monte Carlo Centenary
- Monaco 1967 Princes of Monaco Paintings
- Monaco 1968 Summer Olympic Games - Mexico City
- Monaco 1979 Salle Garnier (Opera House) Centenary - 2nd issue
- Monaco 1980 Europa
- Monaco 1996 Grimaldi Dynasty Anniversary